Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Last Blog Post Ever (Maybe)

Hurry up and read this, my final blog post of all time. Maybe.

If you’re reading this on December 22, 2012, it means it won’t be my last blog. At least, as long I don’t go through my longest-ever bout of writer’s block.

So if the world DID end on December 21, 2012, my last blog post is dedicated to all the awesome things I did in my life that I was scared shitless to do at the time:
  • Like becoming a dad. Twice.
  • Jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. Twice.
  • Feeding sharks at the aquarium at the Mall of America.
  • Climbing a mountain along the Continental Divide in Colorado with my two of my brothers/college buddies on the Fourth of July, and sharing a beer at the top.
  • Performing as a member of an improvisational comedy troupe in Iowa City.
  • Starting a newspaper from scratch while in graduate school.
  • Getting a piece published in the New York Times.
  • Parasailing over shark-infested waters in Mexico. (Okay, maybe they weren’t shark-infested, but I was too scared to find out.)
  • Swimming for a few miles with a stingray off the coast of West Palm Beach, Florida, while there for winter swim training as a freshman at Grinnell College.
  • Zip-lining over waterfalls in a Mexican rain forest.
  • Rolling my car (granted, I didn’t do this intentionally, but it’s still pretty cool to have walked away from it, and in fact to have continued to drive my car after it was pulled out of the ditch).
  • Living in Europe for a semester in college, when I had never lived outside my home state of Iowa prior to that.
  • Doing prank phone calls for the KRNA morning show in the late ’90s as “Hank the Crank.”
  • THIS ENTRY HAS BEEN REDACTED TO AVOID ANY AND ALL REPERCUSSIONS FROM THE AUTHOR’S MOTHER OR ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS.
Yeah, I think that’s a pretty nice list to go out on. But I’m going to change my mind and keep adding to it if I wake up on December 22, 2012.

Feel free to share the favorite things you’ve done in your life before we go out in a blaze of glory tomorrow. Tootles! I’m off to go BASE jump off the IDS Tower.

No comments: