Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Year doesn't get you New Results

I have always found it interesting how much we, as humans, obsess over our New Year.

I'm guilty of it as well.

"Last year sure did suck, so this next year HAS to get better."

Does it? Not really.


The world we wake up to this morning, the first of 2010, is the same world we said goodbye to at the stroke of midnight last night.

The economy still sucks. We still have two wars going on in faraway lands. We've still got enemies of our country who are hell-bent on destroying us. And your day-to-day problems and my day-to-day problems have not magically disappeared. We didn't suddenly get a raise overnight. Or a job. Or our self-esteem.

Before you decide that I'm the most cynical person you know, let me say that one thing we do have this morning, metaphorically at least, is a fresh blanket of snow.

The paths we took, both good and bad, over the last year are covered. Still visible, but barely. Visible enough that it is easy for us to take those same paths again this year. Hidden enough that if we choose to go another route, the former ones will fade into the snowy landscape, becoming distant memories.

Now is where we come in. Do we repeat our paths of the past? If we do, we must remember Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

If we are smart, we'll remember the results of our last trip down the path. And we'll take risks, even if they mean failure in the short term, by taking a new path.

So get ready to explore in 2010, if you wish new and different results. Take a different path.

Happy New Year, my friends, and happy new path making.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your head up - you have your health, a job and two healthy boys. (and awesome friends!) I think 2010 is going to be a great year for you. Today IS different than yesterday and all of 2009 becasue we all get to press the mental reset button. Albeit relatively arbitrary, the springboard we call January 1st allows us assess our habits from the last year and keep the good and correct/ dissolve the not so good. If we didn't do it on the first day of the year - would we ever? So use it for what it's worth - make some resolutions - inhale deeply and pray for the wonders you have - they are more than you realize.

Life Under Construction said...

I agree wholeheartedly, Anonymous...kind of the point. The main thing is that things don't change simply because it is a new day in a new year, but because we take stock of our past year, and make the changes in our own actions we can to make it a better year.

I am a blessed man, I have no doubt.

Anonymous said...

I think things do change because it's a new day in a new year - it's the only day we really look back and ahead and vow to make changes... the x-factor is that it is solely up to the individual to make that change, otherwise things will remain the same - for better or worse. Just pontificating.... ;) I want you to have a kick-ass 2010! (and me too :)

Life Under Construction said...

Yes, we're saying the same thing, and I want us both to have a kick-ass 2010 as well, even if I don't know who the hell you are! lol

Anonymous said...

I'll be back on Jan. 1 2011 and check in on you... now I must pass wind... er, I mean pass like the wind...

Life Under Construction said...

Thank you anonymous gas passer. :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, smell that? Thats's pure, unfiltered love. We Iowans are unique that way.

~Trish~ said...

Love ya!!!

kelli said...

well said, I actually heard the insanity definition today for the first time. It sure made me wake up a little. New Paths are the only way to go. :)

Jenn said...

A new path it is.